Do you have any doubts if you are pregnant or not?
Check out these signs and symptoms to reassure you, if you are pregnant!
Possibility of pregnancy – Maybe pregnant!
Although presumptive evidence of pregnancy, it is not certain; meaning these signs can be caused by other conditions.
1. Amenorrhea “Missed period or absence of menstrual bleeding”
Is a normal physiological function caused by hormones.
– Progesterone, who prepares the uterus for the implantation of the egg.
– Estrogen, who let the uterus lining to thicken, this in order to prepare the environment for the baby to live and grow.
After the fertilized egg travels to the uterus and attaches to the spongy uterine lining, pregnancy officially begins and the mother notices the absence of her period.
When there is no implantation, menstruation occurs.
2. Nausea / Vomiting
Usually between first 2 months until 14 to 16 weeks of pregnancy.
Can be worse in the morning but can last all day.
3. Urinary frequency
- This is nonpathological, it’s just pregnancy!
Occurs twice along pregnancy; at the begging and at the end of pregnancy.
- During first trimester, the isthmus of the cervix becomes soft and the enlarging uterus exert pressure on the bladder.
- During the third trimester, most common for first time pregnant woman after lighting has occurred; which exert pressure on the bladder.
Related: Do you have a urine infection?
Usually in the first trimester.
- There are some theories trying to explain why pregnant woman gets tired in the first weeks of pregnancy.
– One is attributed to hormones changes; which it’s believed they have a sleep-inducing effect.
– Two is that the metabolic rate falls early in pregnancy.
– Three a baby is forming and growing!
5. Breast changes
- Tenderness in the early weeks
- Breast and nipples enlargement
a. Increase in size by the 2nd month
b. Produced by high levels of estrogen and chorionic somatomammotropin in the 1st trimester
c. Hypertrophy of the mammary alveoli causes the breasts to feel nodular, starting during the first 2nd months of pregnancy
- Increase vascularity, seen just beneath the skin
- Montgomery’s tubercles or glands of Montgomery, are hypertrophic sebaceous glands in the areolae and are prominently noticeable by the 2nd month of pregnancy
- Primary and secondary darkening of the areola.Due to estrogen and progesterone which have a melanocyte-stimulating effect in the Third month of pregnancy.
–Primary areolae darkening, darkening of the areola around the nipple
–Secondary areolae darkening,mottling of the skin around and beyond the primary areolae
6. Fainting AKA syncope or passing out
Although infrequent, some women experience a temporary drop in the amount of blood supply that flows to the brain may be accompanied by a wave of nausea, due by changes in the amount of blood in uterus, breast and other areas of the body, also may be caused by low blood sugar, low blood pressure, hot weather and dehydration.
7. Skin changes – Hyperpigmentation
- Chloasma “Mask of pregnancy” AKA Melasma
- Linea nigra: Is the midline of the anterior abdominal wall skin known as linea alba which changes to a dark brown to form linea nigra.
- Vascular spiders
- Palmar erythema
8. Excessive salivation AKA ptyalism
Usually unexplained, but sometimes occurs by stimulation of the salivary glands after ingestion of starch, also by increased acidity on the mouth.
9. Congestion of vaginal mucus
Vaginal mucus or fluids changes in amount and consistency according to our menstrual cycle, from thin to stretchy to thick mucus.
10. Basal body temperature may be elevated in absence of an infection
For women that are using the temperature rhythm method, they experience a slight increase and sustained body temperature.
11. Chadwick’s sign
Dark-bluish red color and congested vaginal mucosa during pregnancy due to increased vascularity to the cervix
Normal color of the cervix is pink
Mother starts to feel baby movements around 16 – 22 weeks
- Multiparas may feel movement sooner, around 16 weeks
- Nulliparas or primigravidas may not appreciate fetal movements until approximately 2 weeks later, around 22 weeks
13. Expression of colostrum
Thick, yellowish fluid often noticed by a gentle massage on the breast.
14. Striae gravidarum (stretch marks)
Caused by an extensive increase in size of the breast or abdomen
May be reddish, slightly depressed streaks
15. Maternal belief that she is pregnant
There is a natural instinct in everywoman that makes her feel she is pregnant.
Most likelihood of indicating pregnancy
These are detected upon examination and documented by the health care provider.
Asymmetry in the shape of the uterus detectable in the area where the ovum has implanted
Confirmation of pregnancy
These are directly related to the fetus, as detected and documented by the health care provider.